Energy Efficient Construction
Energy Efficiency, First and Foremost
At Ertl Homes our goal is to achieve a high energy performance home through our whole house green construction strategy. The following is some of our construction techniques that we use to improve energy efficiency and promote healthier living:
Six Components of an Ertl Green Built Home
- High performance windows
- High efficiency heating and cooling
- High indoor air quality
- Upgraded insulation package
- Advanced energy construction techniques
- Water efficiency and conservation
Standard Green Construction Package
1. High Performance Windows
- Windows with Low -E (low emittance) coating.
- Argon gas between the glass to keep heat inside in the winter and outside in the summer.
- Windows frames with advanced technologies to minimize temperature transfer.
- Window warranty: Lifetime parts, 20 years glass.
2. High Efficient Heating and Cooling
- Standard High Seer units
- Properly sized HVAC units
- Programmable thermostats
- Mastic sealing on ductwork connections to minimize air leakage.
- Gasketed HVAC boots
3. High Indoor Air Quality
- Intake duct bringing in outside air replacing stale interior air
- Media Filter System: MERV- 8
- Air returns in every bedroom
- Low VOC wall paint for air quality
- Low VOC carpet for air quality
4. Upgraded Insulation Package
- Insulation foam envelope
- Icynene sprayed on rafters
- Icynene sprayed in exterior walls
- Polycell foam windows, doors, and headers
- Seal door sills
- Spa/tub wall areas pre-insulate
- Create additional air space in vaulted ceiling by dropping the ceiling line and installing corrugated baffles.
- Seal exterior walls electric boxes.
- Secure air infiltration areas between floors.
- Insulate scuttle hole doors.
5. Advanced Construction Techniques
- Properly installed and sealed Tyvek house wrap for a sealed thermo envelope.
- Insulate wall corners, tees, and headers during framing stage.
- Full shingled ridge roof ventilation to reduce attic temperatures.
- Continuous perforated soffit system to increase attic air circulation.
- Outside vented bath exhaust fans.
6. Water Efficiency and Conservation
- ENERGY STAR water heaters
- Low flow Moen fixtures and shower heads
- Water efficient toilets
- Irrigation rain sensors
7. Lighting and Appliances
- ENERGY STAR rated fixtures
- Additional recess lighting to reduce interior heat temperatures
- CFL lighting (optional)
- ENERGY STAR appliances
- Washer & dryer